Friday, March 17, 2006

We are the pedal blocks.

UberDaddy, like other great parents, spends time considering the ways that we can use our time to best benefit our child. It is my desire to expose him to as many things as we can, and let him choose what he pursues in depth. For right now, at 18 months, that means lots and lots of laughing, playing and exploring the house and yard.


I attached some blocks to the pedals of Henry's Schwinn a couple of weeks back. He can just now reach the pedals, but isn't able to turn the wheel over yet (We practice pedaling in the air while on our backs). And this morning - while watching him push along Fred Flinstone style, try the pedals, fail, and repeat- an interesting metaphor formed in my head.


I am the pedal blocks in Henry's life.



How am I like a rectangular chunk of wood, you ask? (My wife has a very differnt answer to this than I...)

Consider that one of a parent's greatest roles is as the enabler of our child's discovery.

We are ALL the pedal blocks, actively but quietly supporting until they can thrive on their own.



Holy crap, his trike is cool.

He will be getting a 12" two wheeler here soon, but the trike is great to safely learn how to turn the pedals.




In other ÜberDaddy news:

I read a brilliant essay by a man named Raul that I thought I'd share with you all.

Then I got reamed for posting it.

I had posted the text here, because I thought it a proper tribute to a great essay. I had included a link to the author's blog, and given his name and proper credit. But apparently this is bad 'netiquette'. Sorry Raul, wasn't trying to steal your words or pass them off as my own, just smiling at them, and hoping to have others do the same. When I choose to use another's words when I write professionally, it is acceptable as long as I give proper credit. This is good for professional papers and journals, but not blogs?! Total Bullshit.

Ms. Strauss (writer of the comment), instead of taking the alarmist action of alerting the author, wouldn't it have been a little more direct (and mature) to email me directly and point out my indiscretion?

Mr. Raul, you are a fine artist and author. If you happen to come across this because of the email you received to 'tell on me' for crediting and posting your essay, please feel free to comment and let me know if I can post your words here. I had not seen the copyright at the bottom of the page and the request for permission. Please excuse.

All that said, you can find the post titled "The Undivided World" here

You can visit Raul's blog here.

and his photo blog here.

Sheesh. Who knew the blog police were up so late at night?




ciaofernow

4 Comments:

At 3/18/2006 11:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Totally uncool of you to post the entire text of the blog entry. Very bad netiquette. Proper usage would be to post and excerpt and a link. And that other blog expressedly has a copyright notice. Perhaps I am being a bit invasive but I notified the author via email. People do this to me all the time and it pisses me off.

Lisa Strauss

 
At 3/20/2006 10:20 AM, Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

Wow. I agree that Lisa could have simply let you know before being such a snitch. That seems to be bad "netiquette" as well. Anyway, you resolved the issue and gave the author due credit. I'm sure he is more than pleased with the exposure. :o)

 
At 3/20/2006 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are people really that uptight? I'd be embarrassed to even leave that comment publicly. Where are these rules she speaks of. I'm sure I've broken 99% of them. Funny, I don't really care.

And hell yeah is that Schwinn cool!

 
At 12/31/2008 2:33 PM, Blogger Nern said...

That was an enjoyable read (your post and the essay). My son has the same Schwinn. I put the plastic rubber band pedal blocks on it when it was new and the strap broke only days later. I think I am going to make some like the ones you have pictured. We are currently doing the same practicing pedaling in the air and "Fred Flintstoning" around the driveway.

BTW I think Strauss is just being a craba**.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home