Friday, March 03, 2006

3 1/2 hours

Today feels just like those 'precious' first months when Henry came home: my brain is severely sleep deprived. You see, ÜberDaddy has gotten quite comfortable with the 6 hours of sleep I normally get each night. Let's back up to last evening.

Production and Operations Management class from 6:30 until 10. The professor is the Deputy Director of Health Services (or some similar title), so he feels the need to use EVERY minute of his allotted time. On the road from Owings Mills VJC campus to home just north of the PA line for about 50 minutes. As weird as this is, after being home all day, I love the drive - curvy roads at 60 mph are always a good time (ÜberDad says it is OK to go fast as long as you are not reckless). Get home a few minutes before 11 PM; mommy is SOUNDly asleep on the couch. I am wired; perhaps the coffee at 8:30 wasn't a great idea. Eat, drink, burp, scratch- it's midnight. I stir Mommy off the couch to go upstairs to bed, and as we pass by his room, Henry hears us and wakes up screaming. Awesome. Oh no! That's right! I lose my super powers at night, I can do nothing to help!

Seriously, for the last month, when I go in to sooth Henry when he wakes up at night, he flips out worse - angry that its not Mommy who has come to his rescue. Seems ÜberDaddy needs the yellow sun to give me my powers.

Up every 15 minutes until almost 3 am. OMFG. So when he was, again, crying out LOUDly to get up at 6:40, I was none too happy. Since the sun was up, however, my superpowers had returned, and Henry was glad to see me.

I am SO tired today. This morning's hot breakfast has been replaced with fruits and bread. I don't want to collapse onto the hot stovetop and end up with an over-easy face.

Funny, I was just beginning to think I was ready to have another one. Clearly there is NO way to prepare oneself for the lack of sleep that accompanies parenting an infant. Maybe I'll feel differently after more coffee.

Poor Mommy, she is at work right now trying to be a responsible professional. She clearly has superpowers as well.

4 Comments:

At 3/03/2006 9:33 AM, Blogger Lisa @ Heaven Sent said...

Henry and Emma must have been using their secret baby communicating powers last night...and this morning. I'm still waiting for my coffee to kick in!

 
At 3/03/2006 9:37 AM, Blogger ÜberDad said...

It's like I'm drinking decaf or something. Hope your day improves. :)

 
At 3/03/2006 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ugh, that sucks. Somedays I pray that my twin superpowers (aka boobs) would magically loose all soothing ability so I have a reason to force the Papa to take over the night shift. Either that or the liquid gold that flows from them to dry up so I can once again drink some coffee w/frigin caffiene and at least run off of java fuel w/out effecting the boy.

 
At 3/04/2006 6:51 PM, Blogger Doug said...

Hey Uber!

Sorry to post this in a comment but I didn't see an email link anywhere.

Come visit us at DadBloggers (http://www.dadbloggers.com) and let me know if you would be interested in becoming a contributor to the site.

Thanks...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home